Changemaker Institute Award Project
Our challenge is to find the most effective way to engage the largest number of young people in social innovation and problem solving – only with these engagements will self-reliant action take place in countries and among youth. The institutions with the most investment in educating youth are universities and therefore the challenge is to inspire them to take creative and innovative action to engage youth on their campuses. It is critical right now to focus our energy on what needs to be done to build the foundation for robust youth-led innovation ecology in countries. Piecemeal efforts, though worthy, will not bring about quantum change. Our efforts will build on the understanding that the developing world urgently needs new solutions and businesses that lower costs while helping to save water, improve soil, protect forests, and provide clean energy.
The Changemaker Institute Award Project in Pakistan is the first of its kind in the country. The concept of changemaking (social innovation and social entrepreneurship) is not yet sufficiently integrated in schools and higher education institutions' culture and curricula. There are no established social innovation or social entrepreneurship professorships, departments and institutes for changemaking in Pakistan. The project is catalyzing social innovation in educational and technical institutions to ultimately impact the education of millions of students and empowers them to solve local challenges. The purpose of Changemaker Institute Award is to create and recognise universities that are interested in embedding student-led social innovation as a core value and in building supportive environments for changemaking across the entire institution. Dedicated start-up support services is the need of the hour to transform an ‘Average’ or ‘Good’ campus into a ‘Changemaker Campus’ that could offer the students with the much required social entrepreneurship practice opportunities, infrastructure, skills training, financial assistance, management skills, markets and peer networks. The Changemaker Institute Award takes an institutional change approach to impact the education of millions of students. It intends to collaborate with schools, colleges and universities to break down barriers to institutional change and foster a campus-wide culture of social innovation.
The project provides a structured support to the interested institutions to navigate through the process of achieving the status of “Changemaker Institute Award.” This support includes:
- Changemaking Campus Scan
- Creation of a Changemaking Team
- Launching Changemaking Competitions
- Startup Funding and Mentoring Services to Students to Drive Change
- Holding Changemaking Exhibitions
- Changemaking Curriculum Development
- Awarding Changemaker Institute Status
- Plugging into other Global Changemaker Institutions
- 100 Leading higher education universities have been engaged in launching first-ever social entrepreneurship projects in their campuses
- 3000 Faculty members are trained and engaged in starting social entrepreneurship education and competitions
- 25,000 Students are engaged in a wide range of social entrepreneurship activities
- Integrated the concept of social entrepreneurship in the curriculum of leading universities such as University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, University of Management Sciences and Technology, etc.